Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Angels Among Us



It is currently 11:03 am on a Tuesday. I am sitting in bed under a warm fluffy blanket with a steamy homemade vanilla dirty chai and a bag of broken brookies (brownie cookie combo) I made last night a bowl of cinnamon mini wheat cereal (opting for a slightly better choice). In my bed are two of my boys, with clean diapers, a bowl of honey nut cheerios, watching Cars 2. Let’s not forget my sweet puppy sitting on my legs; she should be warming up my feet.



Don’t you wish you were me? Come on over! I will gladly let you fill in for me!

When you lift the curtain, a little more you will see: 

There are cheerios ALL over my bed. Keegan is about to kick Cooper in the face. The puppy is waiting for an opportunity to steal cheerios. Cooper just had his third poopy diaper changed. I have a list of people to call and email that I will probably never get through or hear back from. Dry mini wheat cereal is my breakfast, and possibly lunch. (It was breakfast and lunch… (**I also ate the brookie crumbles with the boys in the ER as dinner) & I left my house phone on the charger… I just got comfortable. 

Bet many of you put your hands down… Wait it gets better.

Both of my sinks and half of my counters are full of dirty (rinsed at least) dishes. There are remnants of vomit and diarrhea on my laundry room floor. Keegan’s entire bed needs disinfecting. My house probably looks like a tornado hit, compared to how pretty and clean it was yesterday. Take three steps down the hallway to the kid’s room and you will be overwhelmed with the smell of urine. My two year old is now stealing MY cereal.

Yes it’s okay to laugh… I certainly do!
I woke up late today. I completely slept through my alarm. As I rushed to get breakfast made, cups prepared, I texted my walking buddy to let her know I was running VERY late. Conner luckily was up and getting ready for school. I asked him to let the dogs out to go potty. Minutes later, I step in a pee puddle on my carpet. When I get Cooper from bed, he is soaked in pee. When I went to get Keegan, I found him covered in vomit and diarrhea (I still don’t know how to spell this word despite how frequently I use it!) Quick change in plans. Keegan will NOT be going to school, and promptly needs a bath. After peeling sticky clothes off and wiping the poo that seeped all the way down to his knee (and through his clothes), I carry him to the bathtub trying not to think about the fact that my clean shirt is exposed to residue. EW. 

Now we are going to be L-A-T-E! Time to tell my friend we will NOT be walking today. 

For probably the thousandth time in the last week, I wonder what I would do if this got worse and Keegan became deathly ill. (This magnified as I sat in the ER waiting for a ct scan, not sure what was going on.) We have dear friends, whom I've never met but have an unbreakable bond as parents of children with special needs, whose son was critically ill for weeks, with seizures and fevers they couldn't find a cause for or control. Their sweet boy Connor is the same age as Keegan, and has the same diagnosis. They even look similar to each other. When I heard he was sick, and having horrific seizures, my heart skipped a beat. Thankfully, they have a wonderful support system, and their son is home and doing much better.

I wish I could say the same for Gavin. I found them through another blogger last week. I began praying for their family instantly. I read most of her blog; I found immense inspiration, and admire her spirit. I followed along inspired and devastated by their story. I can’t tell you how many times this scenario has played through in my mind, and to watch it happen so unexpectedly literally wrecked me.

“Gavin, has passed. It happened shockingly quickly; last week, he was a five-year-old boy with special powers who had just started dancing. On Wednesday he stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest. On Friday Kate and her husband, Ed, made the decision to donate his organs. Last night, he was officially pronounced dead.”  From Love that Max

A dear friend of mine posted this picture earlier this month that touched me so deeply. Since then it's been popping up more and more. I imagine any parent with a special needs child gets choked up at the sight of this... It is so beautiful!


Insight from the last few weeks:

Just over two weeks ago Keegan nearly choked to death, no exaggeration needed. I can’t begin to explain how utterly terrified I was during the 8 minutes it took for his body to dislodge the food, and the arrival of first responders one minute later. I am still slightly traumatized.

A week and a half ago we saw a new neurologist who told me that what I see is what I get. That Keegan will not likely improve aside from possibly calming down, as he gets older. Essentially, he didn’t believe Keegan would make any significant developmental gains.

During all of this I’ve been faced with some difficult truths, and wondered what God’s plan is. At what point will Keegan be free from all of this? I don’t agree with the doctor whatsoever but there may be an ounce of truth to his statement. I have to accept the reality that without some miraculous intervention Keegan will continue to be severely developmentally delayed indefinitely.

I love my son, and I want so much for him, I also want more for him than he will probably ever have in this life. It is devastating to think about. Some days I pray Jesus will come quickly. I pray Keegan will accomplish all God has planned for him so he can be free. 

I am in awe of Kate.

With that said, I encourage you to read her post, and do something to honor this family.

Run with the angels superGavin!


Pray for their family, Connor’s family, and mine as well.

On the bright side:
My wonderful husband is home! After a ridiculously long 3 weeks (I felt like it was over 5 months!). We all missed him dearly! My sweet Cooper says “thant to Momma” after I give him most of my cereal, and “Bushu Momma” in the most adorable way every time I sneeze. My puppy loves me even though I stepped on her as I tripped over her and yelled at her for being under my feet. My dear Conner made his own lunch today, and puts up with my attitude and short fuse on these crazy mornings. Last but not least… Keegan. Despite derailing my day, and my life in so many ways, is alive. He is resilient, he bounces back quickly. He hasn’t been hospitalized in a year! Through him, God has given me strength and compassion that knows no end.

Update: 
It is 8:25 The very next evening.. My darling hubby is getting Keegan dressed while he fills the room with uncontrollable laughter. It's distractingly adorable, even with the farts .Just after I posted this we went to see our pediatrician. I asked the Dr if we could have x-rays ordered prior to our appointment to check for any blockage due to constipation (which we’ve been dealing with over the last week slash his entire life). When she looked at the X-rays, she expressed concern. Keegan appeared to have a significant amount of gas in his stomach, and looked distended. Keegan didn’t seem to be in much pain but we agreed that in his case appearances aren’t the most reliable. Since it was just after 5pm, she recommended we go straight to the ER to have a CT scan done, as this was the fastest route. I had to get a hold of the hubby to come pick up the other boys. My terrible two-year-old monster successfully demolished all of the snacks bribery I brought along and was rapidly turning into a Gremlin. We met lovely nurses, who were so sweet I had to share some brookies we made to honor Gavin (more info to come). After talking with the ER Dr and seeing a similarly concerned response from the X-rays, I had to chase away negative thoughts. Generally, when we go to the ER I (sort of) know what’s going on, what action needs to be taken, and how it’s all going to go down. This was completely new to me, and sounded like it had the potential to be serious. YIKES!  This situation coupled with a lot of waiting, my cell phone dying, and Keegan waiting until the last minute to cooperate and guzzling the contrast liquid… It took a lot of distraction to remain calm and not think terrible thoughts. Not even Pinterest could capture my full attention. Millions of minutes later 3.5 hours later we got the results from the Dr that everything looked okay, there didn’t appear to be any obstructions, and we were going home! Relief, thank you Jesus! I quickly (after handing out some more brookies in honor of Gavin on the vehicles parked next to me at the hospital) headed home and to bed. Keegan is a champ, and had a great day full of therapy today! Thank you for your kind thoughts, prayers, and caring. Much love!!!

We are so blessed, and my grandma is right, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment